International Study Tours
The Sheldon College International Study Tour Program provides an opportunity for visiting students to be welcomed into the Sheldon College Family and to engage in a world-class educational institution. The program is designed to actively engage in and a range of curriculum and pastoral care programs where the learning is dynamic, interactive and innovative.
Benefits of the Sheldon College International Study Tour Program
- First class educational and cultural programs based on the latest educational research delivered by highly skilled and specialist teachers through a range of digital tools and pedagogies, with a specialised focus on STEAM- Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics.
- Sheldon College Teacher of English as a Second Language Teacher (TESOL) to assist students achieve maximum participation in all classroom activities as well as providing targeted English immersion programs.
- Pastoral Care Program to assist students in better understanding Australian culture and values to support immersion in a foreign culture.
- Sporting Program accessing our international standard tennis centre, tartan track and sports stadium with our specialist coaches and teachers.
- Learn to Swim Program in our purpose-built, enclosed, Learn to Swim facility with our professional Austswim Accredited Coach. Our pool is heated so students can enjoy swimming all year round.
- Extra-Curricular Arts Program tailored especially for International Study Tour Students. This program provides Master Classes in the areas of Visual Art, Music, Drama, Dance, Film and TV/Media delivered by Sheldon College teachers who are also industry specialists in these fields.
- Extra-Curricular Technology and Robotics Program tailored especially for International Study Tour Students. Students introduced to programming and coding using Robots and Drones and are challenged to code using concepts such as sequencing, repetition, events, conditional logic, problem solving and debugging.
- Workbook and Stationery Packs provided to students with tailor- made literacy and numeracy workbooks designed especially for International Study Tour students to support the development of English proficiency. Students will be issued with stationery packs to maximise full participation in all classes.
- Weekly Excursions to Queensland’s iconic tourist attractions.
- Camp Program located at Lake Ainsworth Sport and Recreation Centre, one-hour south of the Gold Coast and located on one of Australia’s beautiful beaches and minutes from National Parks and rainforests. Students participate in a range of tailor- made activities including rock climbing, sailing, surfing conducted by accredited camp instructors.
- Sheldon College Homestay Families who provide a safe and welcoming home for students that align with and support the College values of love, laughter and learning.
- Dedicated International Study Tour Co-ordinator and Administrators available to assist with 7 day a week support for International students, teachers and Homestay families.
Study Abroad Program
Sheldon College has limited spaces for overseas students to study within Australia within our Middle College or Senior College. The program allows international students to experience first-hand the culture, language and style of learning within an Australian school.
Students actively engage and are immersed in all activities within daily life as a Sheldon College student and are encouraged to be involved in co-curricular and extra-curricular programs. Students should be at least 10 years of age, have above average results from their school in their own country and a level of English that will enable them to participate successfully in mainstream classes.
Distinctive Curriculum Offerings:
The Middle College caters for students from Years 5 to 8. The Middle College at Sheldon College is unique concept in that it has been established specifically to be more developmentally responsive to the needs of early adolescents. It is critical at this level of schooling that the links between learning experiences at school and the skills required for future life as learners and citizens be forged. Students in the Middle College are taught by specialist teachers for each of the 8 Key Learning Areas of the Australian Curriculum. Primary and Secondary teachers work collaboratively to provide quality learning experiences that address the needs and interests of young adolescents. The Middle College curriculum centres on engaging students in the learning process through and integrated approach to curriculum design and a focus on individual learning styles, where instruction is personalised and more relevant to the age of these students.
Teachers in the Middle College are carefully selected specialists who value working with this particular age group and are aware of the individual needs of their students. The positive personal relationships that are formed between the teachers and students in the Middle College are remarkable. The team of Year Level Co-ordinators (YLC's) work very closely each year to ensure consistency of standards and expectations which, in turn, ensures all students are achieving the best possible educational outcomes. Each YLC meets weekly with their students to address matters at developmentally appropriate age groups and they implement a positive pastoral care program across their year level. Students participate in a weekly pastoral care lesson focussing developmentally appropriate programs including developing friendships, building resilience, cyber safety, global citizenship.
The Senior College caters for students from Years 9 to Year 12. At Sheldon College the Senior College follows the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority approved syllabuses to ensure that our students graduate with the highest levels of academic excellence, industry standard expertise, along with a range of skills and attributes needed in a global society. Sheldon College provides a myriad of pathway opportunities and support programs for the unique and individual needs of every young man and woman. Extension classes are provided for students who exhibit high academic ability.
Students in Years 9-10 have a weekly pastoral care lesson, whereby students and teachers discuss a range of topics appropriate to their age group – (i.e. time management, career choice, ethics, values, human relationships, anti-drugs, anti-smoking and anti-drinking). Students in Years 11-12 are allowed the freedom to grow, each Wednesday students have an Options Afternoon, where they can pursue an activity of their choosing such as Teacher Tutorials, TAFE Courses, Personal Study, Part-Time work or Apprenticeship/Traineeships.
Whether it be the offer of Early Entry University programs or links with Business, Industry, Registered Training Organisations and the community, or the Mentoring, Academic Coaching and Work experience programs, Sheldon College students have every opportunity to experience ‘Pathways to Success’.
High School Preparation Course
Sheldon College works closely in partnership with Griffith University English Language Institute (GELI) who provide High School Preparation Programs (HSP). GELI has provided internationally-recognised English language courses and programs for over 20 years.
The HSP program is a specialised program designed to support students who wish to participate in study abroad programs in Australian mainstream classes within high schools. The program targets the development English language proficiency of content-specific knowledge and academic skills. Enrolment in this program supports a smooth transition in mainstream classroom programs.
Our dedicated International Students Co-ordinator can assist families by facilitating and assisting with registration requirements for entry into this program. Upon completion of this program, GELI provides detailed advice and academic reports about students’ progress and works closely with the College in preparation for enrolment application processes.
Enjoy Access to First-class Facilities
Sheldon College can boast state-of-the-art facilities with the latest technology infrastructure, Science laboratories, business entrepreneurial suites. Modern library and resources for both junior and senior students, a major sporting stadium with championship courts, a heated swimming pool, a tartan track and field stadium, tennis courts and cricket nets, gymnasium, film, television and media studios and accompanying suites, performing arts and music facilities, sound recording studios, state of the art visual art studios located in the soon to be completed Artscapes, computer aided and graphic design studios, commercial training kitchens, a Convention Entertainment Centre with seating capacity for 2,000 with on-site catering for any scale event. The College offers students easy access to campus-wide Wi-Fi connectivity.
Experience the Benefits of Sporting, Cultural, Performing Arts and Personal Development Programs
Sheldon College offers a comprehensive range of Sporting, Cultural, Performing Arts and Personal Development Programs. As well as extending individual skills to the highest level, the co-curricular program is an important element in developing collaborative team skills, building commitment and perseverance, developing resilience and advancing and fostering creativity.
Co-curricular electives include: Subject tutorials, Creative Writing, Debating, Reading Clubs, Chess Club, Team sports, Swimming Club, Triathlon School of Excellence, Sheldon Academy of Sport Program including Track & Field, Business Entrepreneur Clubs and many more. Sheldon College’s Australian School of the Arts (ASTA) is known for setting benchmarks across all Arts disciplines, with an extensive on-site and industry training and professional involvement in Music, Dance, Drama, Visual Arts and Film and New Media Studies, incorporating Sheldon College TV (SCTV). Students who have previously learned a musical instrument, are encouraged to continue private music tuition at the College and may audition for various College orchestras and musical ensembles.
Accommodation for Your Stay
Sheldon College provides access to Homestay Families during your study program, if required. Homestay Families provide a safe and welcoming home for students that aligns and supports the College philosophy of Love, Laughter and Learning. All families are carefully selected and pass rigorous security and safety checks. Students are provided with all meals, their own bedroom with a desk and daily transport to and from the College.
Students are encouraged to take an active part in the family life with their Home-stay families while maintaining high standards in behaviour. This is a wonderful way for students to be fully immersed in the Australian way of life.
Sheldon College welcomes any student who subscribes to the philosophy, ethos and Code of Conduct of the College. As partners in the educational process, it is also important to understand that students, parents and staff alike all have rights and responsibilities.
Our College aims to provide a warm, caring and supportive learning environment for all students where the 3 L's of teaching (Love, Laughter & Learning) are evident in every teacher-student interaction.
We welcome the opportunity to speak with you about your international student enquiry. For more detailed information download the International Student and Staff Handbook .
Address: 43-77 Taylor Road, Sheldon QLD 4157
Post: Sheldon College, PO Box 1188, Capalaba QLD 4157
Sheldon College Ltd t/a Sheldon College
CRICOS Number: 02177C