Welcome to Performance Music at Sheldon College where we are privileged to teach some of the most outstanding school-age musicians in Queensland, and because of this, our aim is to assemble a team of teachers who are ranked amongst the very best in Australia.
Performance Music at Sheldon College boasts more than 30 ensembles that rehearse weekly, and we offer tuition to almost 650 students. Being one of Australia’s leading Music Programs would mean very little if we weren’t committed to maintaining a vibrant and forward-thinking program that challenges young musicians to achieve the very highest standards, while never losing sight of the fact that music should always be fun.
At Sheldon College our focus is to provide our young musicians with “real world” experiences at a corporate level. In the past years, we have provided ensembles for the Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Ball, Governor’s Breakfast, 1st Test of the Ashes Series at the Gabba, live bands at the Australia vs France and Australia vs New Zealand Rugby Internationals, drumlines for the Brisbane Bullets and World Rugby League matches and we have provided the orchestra and choir for the Redland City Christmas Carols.
Eisteddfods and competitions are also part of the yearly program at Sheldon College providing our students with the incentive to rise to the next level in the pursuit of excellence. In 2017, Sheldon College recorded 1st Place in the Redlands String Eisteddfod, 1st, 2nd and 3rd placings in the Australian Percussion Eisteddfod and Queensland Percussive Arts Eisteddfod and our concert bands received Platinum at the Queensland Musicfest. Our Big Band was selected as the only school-based jazz ensemble to perform at the famous Wynnum Jazz Festival, and our award-winning vocal ensembles are preparing for another huge year of performances.
Explore Performance Music at Sheldon College
Sheldon College students can receive individual or group instruction in any of the following areas:
- Woodwind - Piccolo, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone (Alto, Tenor, Baritone).
- Brass - Trumpet, French Horn, Eb Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba.
- Percussion - Encompassing all tuned and untuned percussion (Mallets, Snare Drum, Drum Kit, Timpani, etc.).
- Strings - Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass.
- Guitar - Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar.
- Piano - Classical Piano (AMEB/Trinity), Piano for Leisure (AMEB), Jazz Piano, Popular Piano.
- Voice - All styles covered, from Musical Theatre to Popular to Classical.
Students can elect to learn privately (one-to-one) or in a group.
Most lessons are during school time, but limited places are available for lessons before/after College, or during morning tea/lunch via negotiation with staff members.
To find out more about Music Tuition, or to enrol your child in a lesson for next term, email us.
Year 4 Instrumental Program
The Year 4 Instrumental Music Program is an integral and compulsory part of the Junior School Curriculum, and Sheldon College is proud of its intensive one-year program. Students are tested in Year 3 to determine those areas in which they are most musically proficient, and are then given lessons in Woodwind, Brass, Percussion, Strings, Guitar or Piano.
Each week Year 4 students will receive:
- One 30 minute lesson (group or private) during school time.
- One 30 minute choral workshop (choir) on Thursday from 2:20pm to 2:50pm
- One 30-minute ensemble experience on Thursdays from 3:00pm to 3:30pm
Woodwind/Brass/Percussion - Students who are selected for Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Bass Guitar or Percussion are part of the largest Year 4 ensemble known as the Year 4 Band.
Strings - Students selected for the Year 4 String Program form an ensemble known as "Fiddlestix".
Guitar - Students selected for the Year 4 Guitar Program form an ensemble known as "Year 4 Strummers".
Piano - Students selected for the Year 4 Piano Program form a special class known as the "Composers On Keys".
Performance Music Highlights From 2017
- Our premier female vocal group “Eve” were winners of an exclusive competition to perform at the Concert Hall of the Queensland Performing Arts Complex as a support act to World renown singer Aled Jones.
- Symphonic Winds were awarded Platinum at Musicfest with a perfect score of 100.
- Concert Band (Year 5 band) were awarded Platinum at Musicfest.
- Middle College String Ensemble was awarded 1st place at the Redlands Eisteddfod.
- Drumline I was awarded 1st place at the Australian Percussion Eisteddfod in Sydney and the inaugural Queeensland Percussive Arts Eisteddfod. Drumline I also featured at national and international level sporting events as a drumline for the Brisbane Bullets and at the Rugby League World Cup.
- Drumline II was awarded 1st place at the inaugural Queensland Percussive Arts Eisteddfod.
- Percussion Ensemble I was awarded 3rd Place at the inaugural Queensland Percussive Arts Eisteddfod.
- Percussion Ensemble II was awarded 1st place at the inaugural Queensland Percussive Arts Eisteddfod and 2nd place at the Australian Percussion Eisteddfod.
- Percussion Ensemble III was awarded 2nd place at the inaugural Queensland Percussive Arts Eisteddfod.
- Percussion Ensemble IV was awarded 1st place at the inaugural Queensland Percussive Arts Eisteddfod.
- Sax Quartet and Clarinet Quartet were both awarded 2nd place at the Queensland Clarinet and Saxophone Society Annual Competition.
- The Sheldon College Sax Quartet and Soul Band were invited to perform at the prestigious Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron Commodore’s Ball.
- Big Band were invited to perform as part of a national event at the annual Fiesta Latina in Roma Street Parklands.
- Soul Band and Rock Band were invited to perform at the local community Cleveland Twilight Markets.
- Middle College Chorale were awarded 1st place at the Redlands Eisteddfod.
- Eve ensemble was awarded 3rd place at the Redlands Eisteddfod.